Why do I need Verification?
A business that sells goods by measurement, make available measuring instruments or operate measuring instruments used for trade, are required to comply with Australian trade measurement laws. www.measurement.gov.au
Every business benefits from following correct compliance sampling, which is achieved by monitoring correct measurement and using appropriate measuring instruments and procedures.
What are my requirements as a business?
If you use a measuring instrument, such as a scale to sell goods, you must ensure it is:
- Suitable for its intended purpose
- Indicating zero before use
- Level when in use
- Positioned for the customer to easily see the measurement process or you must provide a written manual of the measurement
- Kept clean and in good working order
- An approved type and verified by a servicing licensee or inspector before use
- Verified after each repair or metrological adjustment
- Used in the correct manner
The National Measurement Institute (NMI) recommends that you ensure measuring instruments used for trade purposes are checked regularly by a licensed service organisation. It is also recommended that your business have a quality program in place to continue monitoring your compliance. Goods offered for sale by measurement must be sold by legal units of measurement, for example: kilogram, litre and metre etc. Manufacturers, packers, importers and sellers of pre-packed articles must:
- Make sure packages are correctly labeled. The laws include requirements for measurement statements and packers identification. Imported pre-packed articles are exempt from the packers identification
- Make sure packages they pack or sell contain the quantity stated on the label
- Assist trade measurement inspectors with any enquiries and provide information as required
If you need your equipment verified, please contact us and we can organise an appointment.
Our Product Range
Our AccessoriesGC Weighing & Calibrations can supply many accessories for your weighing equipment, large and small remote displays, Bluetooth connections, printersView More
Retail ScalesGC Weighing & Calibrations can supply trade approved simple basic operation retail scales with easy connections to ECR (electronic Cash Registers) and POS (Point of Sale) systems.View More
Metal Detectors & CheckweighersGC Weighing & Calibrations who Work with A&D Australasia to customise to your site and requirements for Metal detecting and Checkweighing, AND Australasia and GC Weighing can supply a product to suit your application and requirements.View More